Monday, April 26, 2010

The end of the beginning

Last week of school... so little motivation.

I guess it is time to wrap up my CAPSTONE experience. This class taught me a lot. More than probably most of my other classes combined. It taught me a new way to look at both literature and life. I almost scare myself when I begin to subconsciously relate my regular day to day to the works, thoughts, papers, blogs, etc we did. I think the most important thing I will take away from this class is the Negative Epiphany. The world is full of them. I feel like nearly daily or at least every other day I get slapped in the face with one of these annoying bastards yet this class and my own thoughts have helped me find new and creative ways to deal with these tricky suckers and they are starting to sting a lot less. Girl troubles, check. Future troubles, check. Motivation troubles, check. Just plain troubles, check. All of these troubles cause so much pain in the day to day but I can now take them, ball them up, examine them, prod them, change them, and ultimately give them the bird, put them in their place, and embrace the hell out of them.

Troubles will always hurt but they become much less troubling once one knows how to play around with them. I think it could be the most important thing I learned in college. To play. Cause life is just one big one. Speaking of which, whether we knew it or not at the time, my group may have inadvertently stumbled onto something incredibly important about this class thanks to the help of Dr. S.
-The Ideal world is one big play. It was written by some higher power a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away and the great artists try to best mimic the lines to this cosmically perfect play. However, our lives are a farce of this play, the one created by the entity and closely mirrored by artists. Our lives are the comical attempt at acting in the play. We are the crappy movie adaptation of the brilliant piece of literature. We are the hopelessly pathetic action stars trying to act in a dramatic role. In our heads we feel our characters are like Hamlet or Arjuna but end up portraying ourselves as Carrot Top or Sinbad. Lovable, laughable, and perfect for the cheesy romantic comedy.

Also wanted to say great work to the first group who went today. Well played. Lovely music. Delicious treats. And an unbelievable attention to the references.

No comments:

Post a Comment