Sunday, March 22, 2009

Visiting my memory palace

Schweitzer Mountain Resort was one of the stops on this spring break's ski road trip and was the location of my Memory palace.  My friends and I spent two nights at Schwetizer and skied one day.  Other than fog and snow, I followed the exact path of my memory theater for the first run of the day.  Even through the soupy fog, I saw the many images of my fifty things and found myself running through the list of names as images like a squaw fish and a penny singing "itsy betsy spider" or a bottle of Jones soda and Willy Nelson making turns while yodeling.  The memory theater not only alters your internal perception and ability to remember but also the actual reality of the place used as a memory theater.  No longer is the top of the Beginner lift at Schweitzer simply an unload station but rather a man in Jeans with a cowboy hat in a wheel chair playing an Austrian long horn.  I wonder if the people responsible for developing these memory theaters saw the corporeal images or the actual places once they developed the memory systems.  I would love to know if anyone else experienced this phenomena?

No comments:

Post a Comment