Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Camillo?

Up until the section on Camillo I followed the somewhat dense and confusing logic of Yates. Now I am at a bit stuck. I could relate to the memory theories used by the Latin and Middle Age scholars but the methods of the Renaissance confuse the heck out of me. Upon reading and examining the methods of Camillo I can see no method to remember everything, past, present, and future, through his theatre. I don't quite understand how the process works with the steps and levels. Does one create paths through the different levels or are you limited to the linear movements through the levels. I tried to read slowly and purposefully but I see no practical method to Camillo's theatre. Maybe because I can't see it in 3D in person. With so many other of Camillo's contemporaries praising his work, I seems that he developed an effective system of memory but unlike earlier memory systems, his seems a bit esoteric. Even now looking back over the drawing of Camillo's theater, I only interpret jiberish. Unlike the older ideas of using coporeal images in memory theaters, I dont find Camillo's method useful. Most likely its my ignorance and inablility to interpret Yeat's explination that causes such a difficult time with this. Hopefully I will figure it out a bit more in class or from other blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment