Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Books I couldn't Put Down...more or less


To be quite honest, I only remember a few books I couldn't put down during my years of reading both forced and chosen and of those books I remember even less as to why I found each so intriguing. But none the less I will try to recount them here.

Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead- Something about the general badassery of Howard Roark made the last couple hundred pages fly by on a lazy sunday afternoon.

Ken Kesey- Sometimes a Great Notion- Most complicatedly written book I have ever loved. A Greek tragedy set in a small
Oregon logging town. Kesey's writing turned me on to others of his or near his generation, Tom Wolfe, Hunter S. Thompson, Charles Bukowski, Kerouac (though all were entertaining, none even approached Kesey).

Douglas Adams- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- The first book that I can clearly remember made me laugh outrageously and actually question the common conceptions of things. I even ended up buying Adam's whole Hitchhiker's series.

And most recently...

Warren Miller- Wine, Women, Warren, & Skis- A simple short story told and illustrated only as Warren Miller can. I consider it my apology for being a ski bum. It also contains one of the single greatest epiphanies in the recent literature I've read. "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." Words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment