Friday, February 13, 2009

Images and memory in action

I think the best way to work into using images to create lasting memories starts on a small level. As great as reading about the masters ability to create these vast mental memory metaphors is, the actual practice of image memory must be built up. We in the modern age don't naturally think in these terms so I believe small exercises building to bigger ones will make the process easier. I had a Spanish test today and while I studied last night, I used flash cards. Many of the words I knew just from frequent use in class and conversation but a few words, especially verbs proved difficult to remember. So I employed the Artificial memory and related them to images.

Here are some examples

Lograr- to attain
Here I pictured a log roller working hard to attain the championship of log rolling. Instantly I remembered the verb

llorar- to cry
the Spanish word for raining is llover the two words look similer and so I pictured tears streaming down a persons face like rain drops.

parecer- to seem
I pictured my mother sewing up a pair of pants for me after I ripped a seam

pertenecer- to belong
A thief with a black mask and a bag of money "belongs" in jail

The method worked so well I will be using it on tests in every class from here on out. Now I just have to build up to the 50 meaningless things.

No comments:

Post a Comment