Friday, January 30, 2009

The Visually Shredable Memory Theater


Well after much internal debate, I have come up with the location of my memory theatre.  During the past few class periods several people commented on the location of their memory theaters.  The house you grew up in, a family cabin, and a grandparents house all seem great ideas however after reading the second section of The Art of Memory entitled "Memory of the Soul," I feel a memory theater should lye as close to the soul as possible and thus, the solution easily presented itself.  Above almost all else, my soul is one of a ski bum and my fondest memories come from Schweitzer Mountain Idaho.  I grew up on the mountain, raced for the race team, poached countless hot tubs, skiied bottomless powder, spent great time with friends and know just about every inch of the hill.  I still think of Schweitzer as one of the best mountains in the country even after skiing other highly publicized resorts in Colorado, Wyoming and British Columbia.  I remember a extremely intricate and ritualized method of approaching the mountain on every powder day to maximize fresh turns.  Now I need to figure out the 50 things to put in that memory theater.  Although... I could probably remember a couple thousand things with all the distinctive places I picture in my mind.






No comments:

Post a Comment